Books, You Guys!

I read a lot of everything. Mostly fantasy and sci-fi, or speculative fiction or Slipstream or New Weird or whatever we're calling it now, some comics, some literary fiction, mysteries, la dee da. And...well. I do like a kissin' book.
On the Way to the Wedding - Julia Quinn I really, really hated the first half of this book. Gregory seemed so stupid and shallow and pointless, and I think if I hadn't known for certain that he would come around (Thanks, back of the book!) I never would have made it through. And the set-up is so gross--I mean really, who doesn't love taking second place to her best friend?--that it's hard to believe that his change of heart is sincere at first.But eventually I was convinced, and it's Gregory's annoyingly believable flaws that make him such a good hero. He turns out to be the sweetest of the Bridgertons in the end, and he positively made me weep at the wedding. The last third or so of the story is Very Dramatic Indeed, and great fun. It's a bit of a shift in tone after all the mopey unrequited love, but a welcome one.It's in His Kiss is still my favorite Bridgerton novel, but this is one of the best. A satisfying end to the series, and I have a feeling it would stand alone just as well. Definitely worth a read!