Books, You Guys!

I read a lot of everything. Mostly fantasy and sci-fi, or speculative fiction or Slipstream or New Weird or whatever we're calling it now, some comics, some literary fiction, mysteries, la dee da. And...well. I do like a kissin' book.
The Man Who Knew Too Much - G.K. Chesterton This book was the best kind of surprise. I was expecting a much more straightforward detective novel, so I was initially thrown by the format and tone. But once I adjusted my expectations I had a great time!The stories themselves are uneven in quality and start to feel formulaic after you've been through a few, but they're all fairly quick and the good ones are worth sticking it out for. And while I can understand how one might not find Horne Fisher's cynical worldview very fun, I thought it was pretty refreshing to read a few stories where the wrongdoer doesn't necessarily get punished and things don't get tied up in a neat bow.If you're very bored by history and politics, you might want to steer clear. But if you like locked room mysteries or you're ready for something a little different, this is a great collection. I'm definitely going to hunt down the Father Brown stories!